Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Payback?

When did I become my parents? I find myself, more and more, saying the same things to my kids, using the exact same tone of voice. The things my parents would harp on when I was little... sitting up straight, saying excuse me, keeping things neat. You know, those stupid parent things. Well, now I'm the stupid parent. When did that transformation take place? It's a scary thing. Maybe it's some sick joke being played on me by the Universe. A punishment for all the times I rolled my eyes at my parents. Pretty soon I'll be talking about how I used to walk to school, barefoot. In the snow. In June.

1 comment:

  1. Well, hell, parenting really is a full-time job...one that does infiltrate our nervous system after awhile. At first it's about reading the books and taking "parenting" notes, but pretty soon we truly digest the info. and we become it. Like a good actor with a role.

    As far as becoming our parents, it's inevitable to a certain extent. It's a question of "comfort zone"--be it good or bad. For me, if I do something my parents did that was ineffective or harmful to me, I TRY not to do it again. But, hell, parenting is the essence of being human: it's a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete